$12 General Admission, $9 Member, $7 child age 14 or younger
Doors Open for admissions 30 min. prior to screening Buy tickets at Film Center or online now
This screening is SOLD OUT!
From over 300+ entries our festival selection committee has chosen 10 finalists. We will screen each finalist short film and our jury will choose Best Over-all Short at the conclusion of the program. Program notes to be added very very soon.
2016 MVIFF SHORT FILMS SELECTIONS
1) “LEMONADE MAFIA”- (9:02) Directed by Anya Adams, USA
Kira’s organic lemonade dynasty becomes in jeopardy, when newcomer Shantel Osgood moves in on her territory with her high fructose corn sugar version of Lemonade. It’s an all out neighborhood war in a good-natured battle of wills between competing kid entrepreneurs in this light hearted comedy for all ages.
2) “GONE FOR A SOLDIER”- (12:38) Directed by Taylor Toole, USA
A teenage girl at war with the world meets a man from 1775. Taylor Toole is an award-winning filmmaker and video producer. His work has been featured on: MTV, Eater, Fast Company, Juxtapoz, Complex, okayplayer, Texas Monthly, Boston’s weekly DIG, 48 Blocks, Life + Times, and Bostonia.
3) “A/K” – (9:32) Directed by Antoine Le Carpentier, France
A/K is the story of Kim and Anouk awaiting a bus that will never come. To pass time they create a story about Ted the « cowboy cop » and « Joe the lonely guy ». While their adventures are linked to the rhythm of the wild imagination of the two girls, Ted’s police car stops in front of the bus shelter.
4) “TO FALL IN LOVE WITH ANYONE, PLAY THIS GAME ” – (6:38) Directed by Margaret Katch, USA
Two female strangers are enticed to play an online game version of the now famous New York Times article touting a list of increasingly intimate questions that a couple should ask one another to fall in love. Is it a game? Or do they fall in love?
5) “Super Sex”- (8:18), Directed by Matthew Modine, USA
What kind of birthday present to you give the dad (Ed Asner) who has everything? His kids (Kevin Nealon and Elizabeth Perkins) decide on a gift they never before imagined! This comedy short was adapted for the screen and directed by Matthew Modine. Efren Ramirez and Ruby Modine complete the stellar cast
6) “BALCONY” – (17:00) Directed by TOBY FELL-HOLDENIn a neighborhood rife with racial tension, a local girl falls for a recent arrival.
7) “MOTHER(S)” -(20:55) Directed by ZANGRO (Sylvain de Zangroniz), France
The 8-year-old Aida lives in an apartment in the Parisian suburb with her whole family. The daily life of Aida is overwhelmed when her father comes back from a trip to Senegal, their country of origin with the young senegalse Rama whom he introduces as his second wife. Aida is very sensitive to her mother’s distress. She decides then to get rid of the new visitor.
8) “TWINSBURG”- (15:15) Directed by Jo Garetty, USA
Jerry, sentimental about his fading twin identity, reunites with his reluctant brother Paul for a weekend of revelry at the world’s largest congregation of twins.
9) “AN UNDENIABLE VOICE”-(15:41) Co-directed by Price Arana and Adam Rothlein, USA, World Premiere
Sam Harris, believed to be one of the youngest to survive the camps during the Holocaust, shares his amazing story of survival with philanthropist and activist Sharon Stone.
10) “CATCHING FIREFLIES”- (22:02) Directed by Lee Whittaker, USA
A little Latina girl attempts to escape the rigors and misfortunes of living on skid row Los Angeles through the power of her mystical imagination while simultaneously trying to protect the bond with her addict mother.